Monday, February 1, 2010

Entrepreneur Focus: the scoop on The Lunch Punch sandwich cutters

We're really excited about the newest addition to our Lunch Essentials range - Lunch Punch Sandwich Cutters. And we're even more excited that we were able to have a few words with the Aussie mompreneur behind these fantastic sandwich cutters that make eating so much fun, the brilliant Kiersten Jowett.

1. How did you come up with the idea for The Lunch Punch?
Cutting crusts off my kids sandwiches, I wished I had a tool that would help and would make the sandwich into fun, interactive and engaging shapes at the same time. So I thought, well, I guess I could try to do it.

2. What was the journey like taking Lunch Punch from concept to market?
The journey has been fun. I had no experience in this (before children I was the manager for our state's deaf interpreting service) so I started from scratch. I designed the puzzle shapes using cereal boxes which I cut up and taped together. Then I took it to a manufacturer I found in the yellow pages. That's how it started. I didn't end up using the manufacturer I started talking with but he has been very helpful and supportive throughout this journey.

3. What environmental considerations have you taken in creating the Lunch Punch sandwich cutter sets?

It was very important that both the product and the packaging be 100% recyclable. So I wouldn't even start before I was sure I could achieve that. Also, being a conscientious mother of three, safety is a big issue for me. So I spend a lot of time researching the safest materials and ensure our products meet the highest world standards for safety. The Lunch Punch is also independently tested by a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission accredited company to certify its safety.

4. What's life like for you as creator of this innovative product?
My day is about small, simple things like getting my eldest sons to school and playing cars and trains with my youngest one. I suppose I am an inventor, designer and entrepreneur but if people ask what I do I tell people I'm a stay at home mom. Because even The Lunch Punch is really just a part of me being a mom. The Lunch Punch is just a tool I made to try to help kids (like mine) enjoy a healthy lunch and to make it more fun for parents (actually, me) to make sandwiches.

5. There's the match n' munch puzzle sandwich cutters set and the animal critter set. Which is your favourite punch?
I go through phases of different favourites; at the moment I like Flash, the dog.
I should also mention that some children like crusts and their parents have told me they still use the Lunch Punch for those kids, they just keep the crust on and serve their shape in the crust "frame"!

For more information about Lunch Punch Sandwich Cutters and a full range of litterless lunch gear, visit Vancouver-based eco boutique Lavish & Lime. If you have any thoughts or ideas about the Lunch Punch or making eating fun in general, please leave a comment below. We'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails